Monday, October 4, 2010

I waited all week...

Remember when you were like 9 and your parents seemed to be so excited for Conference Weekend, and all you could think was...Why? Why?! I get it now. Well I've gotten it for a while now, but I never really told anybody. I was so excited all week to have conference. I really felt like it was going to be a very special conference, where I would hear things that would answer some of my questions. I wasn't able to fully enjoy last conference due to some painful medical and emotional stuff, but I was determined to make this conference count.

I knew it was going to be good if they were letting Elder Holland speak first (I think I'll name one of my kids after him, I just love him). And from there it just kept getting better and better! I kept hearing things that I know I needed to hear. With everything in my life up in the air right now, I felt like I needed something to ground me a little bit and bring me back to what was the most important. I found that in so many talks, but especially in Elder Holland's talk, President Uchtdorf's talk on simplifying, Elder Scott's talk, President Monson's talk on Gratitude, and Elder Bednar's talk. These were talks to Avalon, where I felt like someone was telling me, "Avalon, this is what I have been trying to tell you."

I have started trying to do some things differently in my life with all of my new found free time. I am really trying to resist the urge to just keep saying, "well I will wait to do that until I know what is going on in the next couple months" which seems to be my answer for everything right now. So through these talks I know what I need to be working on and doing better and what I need to be realizing and emphasizing in my life.

I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life. It seems like I need a wake up call every couple of days, or weeks, or months, but I know that I am loved by my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that they know what I am going through and that they have it figured out. I know that we have a living prophet on the earth and I am so grateful for that. I am so grateful for this past conference weekend and that it gave me a push in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. I sure like you, Avalon. This is such a great post. You are a wonderful writer and really know how to express your feelings. Wish we lived closer so we could see eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful testimony.

    BTW - is your blog private now? It isn't showing that it has been updated on my link list. Maybe it is just a different format now. I am going to have to remember to check it!!

    ReplyDelete